Friday, May 06, 2005

Haj Hamad's letter from Germany to his wife Ghazelle ( Libyan humour) + Translation on 8-5-05

I just got this cartoon by email, Haj Hamad is a comic social critical cartoon in Libya something like the Simpsons but with no 'alternative' ( * wink* at Egyptiansandmonkey)families. We get to watch his and his family's antics every Ramadan on Libya TV . This guy is hilarious.

Anyway some kid made these drawings at the expense of Haj Hamad and posted them on the internet, I'm not sure everyone will understand the jokes as they are in typical cultural Libyan linguo ( not classical Arabic) and therefore are not meant to be offensive to anyone. Still I want to share them, if any one wants to volunteer to translate fine ..if not- I'll try and do it later. Or ....wait ! I have a better idea!! lets play this game for those who can't read Arabic, tell me what you think Hamad is telling his wife Ghazelle in this letter while he was in Germany? And I'll provide the translation in a few days :) Come on make an effort!



8th May 2005

Well Kudos to Khadijateri for getting it right :) - that was awesome my dear, I've copy pasted it here for all to see:
"1 - How are you Ghazella? 2 - How's the kids? 3 - How's your mother? (the snake-hehe) 4 - I heard your always going out and running around.5 - Oh! If I get home!6 - I slaughter without putting you in the direction of the Kaabaa.7 - Your Husband, Haj Hamed in Germany"

My tiny linguistic adjustments: How are you Ghazella, How are the kids, How's your mother ( good symbolism mothers- in- law are snakes in all cultures- why?), I heard you're always going out and running around, Oh wait till I get home, I'll slaughter you without putting you in the direction of the Kaabaa (basically I'll show you who's boss), Your husband , Haj Hamed in Germany.

6 comments:

KhadijaTeri said...

This is such a coincidence! I have been going over the use of symbols as a way of communication with one of my classes. I'm going to print this out and give it to my students - they will like it.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Khadijateri, I'm laughing as loud as I can here in front of the screen, please please let me know how did the class take it ! Can you read Arabic? I'm sure you can speak it but I was not sure you could read it. You are welcome!

Anonymous said...

very funny i like it
emil, usa

KhadijaTeri said...

1 - How are you Ghazella?
2 - How's the kids?
3 - How's your mother? (the snake-hehe)
4 - I heard your always going out and running around.
5 - Oh! If I get home!
6 - I slaughter without putting you in the direction of the Kaabaa.
7 - Your Husband, Haj Hamed in Germany

-------

Very Funny!! We like Haj Hamed! Don't underestimate the power and inteligence of an American woman (it's the men who aren't very bright)!

Anonymous said...

Very Funny Highlander

I really like it I will print it
and show it to the kids.

You are a great Internet "Dkhira" digger my friend. If Google only knew about your talents.

DM

Anonymous said...

:)) Khadijateri I never underestimate, I just ask. That's why I said 'Can you read Arabic?'. I agree with you on American men , until they prove me otherwise, the women are way more intelligent. I'll give you a B++ for translation.he he.

DM wanna know my my Google secret? It is zillions of friends ;)