Thursday, April 27, 2006

Falafel, crepes, creme caramel, and Syrian food

There are a few actions which have become traditions when I visit Syria ( apart from buying Arabic books ) and those are, eating falafel , a crepe , creme caramel at least once. As for Syrian food it is gorgeous. I had all the dishes shown in these recipes and more . I think I have put on 5 kgs especially in Aleppo.

So today I hit two stones in one day , how ? well I met up a good friend of mine who was in Tunis on my recent trip there. It was fun reminiscing about those great moments with the rest of our business partners. We had a capuccino at Algora cafe in Shaalan with its retro decor and a creme caramel - which I crave once a year. The conversation was very stimulating . I felt like another portion but was embarassed to look like a 'pig' stuffing myself.
Then in the evening I went out with my best friend to the fashionable 'La Noisette' restaurant-cafe and we had crepe ( that's pancake) with chocolates and nuts ( very fattening) and French chips - yep in that order. This is the best remedy for a heart to heart girl talk. I've seen the waiters give us a few shocked glances and 'raised' eyebrows ..they must have overhead us . I think this comfort food was useful to lift my mood.

Between those too sinful eating marathons Twosret phoned and we had a blast of a time. If you're reading this Twos here is a big hug coming your way. Also Sandmonkey I got your message and you can phone anytime if you wish- thanks.

Now the falafel day was yesterday : 6 girls , buying falafel - freshly made and salads and eating the whole banquet with tea ( green and black). I still can't believe I had seven pieces and two whole pitta breads - yummy that felt good .

I need to have one 'real' shawarma before going home but that's another story.

3 comments:

Hannibal said...

Highlander: this comment has nothing to do with your current post which by the way I enjoyed reading. I just felt the shame and guilt for not praying for you when you asked.The week you posted that,I was amazingly busy and I hardly posted something myself. I didn't have much time to read over the blogs I like and you are one of them. Today I just discovered that I missed a very important request: that we pray for you and for your family, so I hope you will forgive me that and I am very very happy that all is fine and that everything went well alhamdouallah. May Allah the Almighty guide your steps whereever you go!

Highlander said...

Dear Hannibal : Thank you very much for this note you made my day. I am writing this for the second time.

"You are a constant in this blog even if you just read it and I know that I would not even need to ask and you would be there to help.Rabi ikhalik ya sadoqi! "

Please forgive me if my reply did not show I had trouble with posting and I was able to see my comments when I posted and now I'm ashamed it did not showup - sorry it had to happen to you. I never ignore any reader because you are all part of my family.
أنل عقلي كبير يا هانيبال يا خوي ويشرفني صداقتك

Anonymous said...

Redenclave- I have not had the opportunity to take as much photos as I would have liked this time but I hope to make it up this week - inshallah .