Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Libyan Tortoise : encouraging news

AngloLibyan wrote several times about the Libyan tortoise testudo kleinmanni. In fact without him I would have never known it was an endangered species as it was sold for a ridiculous cheap price on the market and is common in our houses. (Photo courtesy of AngloLibyan)

But this weekend I was chattting to my uncle about this topic and he told me that there had been a crackdown on this business . Well I'm pleased to inform you that these news are true at least up to this last Saturday. I went to the Rashid street and Suq al Hut to do some shopping and look at the animals . I found lots of cages of budgies, fish tanks, a few cats but no tortoises and no deer. ....yay no idea for the cause of this awareness but it's working. Thanks AngloLibyan for doing your bit !


Hope you are happy now ?

6 comments:

mani said...

Gotta love em tortoises

I'm going to use them in the branding sorry anglo :D

Anglo-Libyan said...

you dedicated a post to these beautiful tortoises and mentioned me as well, I am very Happy :o)

Seriously I am glad that someone is taking steps to protect these creatures, you know in the UK some zoos are trying to breed them with some success (London & Bristol zoos) as I have mentioned before, they are highly sought after and are very rare to find, a Libyan/Egyptian female tortoise can cost over a £1000 to buy but that only applies to legal microchipped specimens, wild caught and smuggled tortoises are illegal, do not get a high price and can carry a fine & a prison term.
Allah created everything for a reason, we have to look after what we got, thank you and bless you for this good news and for your contribution to this matter.

> said...

tortoises are so cool.

Highlander said...

Mani :) that's interesting, no one thought of the Libyan tortoise for branding - good idea

AngloLibyan, I'm glad someoene is doing something I just hope it lasts.

Lost Libyano yes they are and they cry like babies too you know.. they have a sad voice when distressed.

> said...

Lost Libyano yes they are and they cry like babies too you know..

Wow, thas very intresting you learn something new everyday:)

they have a sad voice when distressed.

loool. Maybe I should become the Libyan Tortoise:)

Hiba said...

i have older one,which i love so much,and if you view my flicker you re going to say how much he likes me,and we have good way to connect each others.