Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Week one over, what next ?

First of all I want to thank Dhafer for baby sitting my blog for the past week just in case someone was still reading it; also a heartfelt thank you to those who asked about me.

Secondly seems that internet is more stable today. Not sure what that means and too tired to analyze it or really care anymore...sigh


In a way I believe that living the events is sometimes better than watching them from afar, and while utterly devastated at the loss of life on the ground I have absolutely no means to confirm the numbers. However, I can confirm that all sort of jets have been over the Tripoli airspace, but what they are I cannot identify. Also as I am no expert on ordnance I won't venture any speculation. I have heard explosions and live ammunition but because we do not have many high rise buildings sounds carry far here and so locations are difficult to judge precisely unless you were right there when it happened. All areas of Tripoli have some form of dist
urbance, the gravity is relative to which strategic hot point is in your neighborhood. One of the more recent posts from PH can perhaps explain it better. Many streets have self made barricades, burning tar barrels etc.. young men are trying to guard their areas with sticks, this is were I wish I had bought a bat when I had the opportunity to. The uncertainty of what form of danger can one be faced with is big factor in keeping the adrenaline running high this is where mistakes can be made when we need to keep a clear head. I thought of rounding up the young men and asking them to help with cleaning some of the mess around but I am sure that in these strange times it will be seen as asking for trouble.

Currently we live one day at a time, you worry about who is shooting at whom, about thugs and criminals ( there are too many after the recent prison releases), you worry about people who will use this situation to their advantage, about war profiteers in basic commodities ( and I have experienced them), about securing medical supplies to children and elderly people, about the possibility of rape and if someone would rescue you or not, about electricity and about being cut off from your family, friends and the world. Dying alone is not fun, dying alone and in a 'dark' loophole without anyone learning about it is worse.

Personally, we are more than 13 souls in this house and that's not counting the pets and it's a challenge at times to ensure everyone does not get on everybody else nerves. I have no news about my aunts, uncle, cousins etc.... because they live in different areas and I can't get them on the phones and none are internet addicts like me. But I am confident that whoever can contact the other first will do so as soon as possible. I may try and drive to where they live today and check on them but not sure it is a safe idea.

Every family in Libya is affected because we are a tight community and because we are a small population. The psychological toll will leave scars and I have not heard anyone in the media offer to help once our trials and tribulations are over, but I'm sure that the non-Arab foreigners who have already left or who are still stuck here will get plenty of psychological support on reaching their homes and I admit that this is somehow irksome to me.

However, Libyans have proven they are a hard nut to crack so inshallah all will be well!


Libya has always been in some way or another a front page news topic and once again we find ourselves in this situation. The world is holding their breath but I'm still not sure if it is caring about the Libyans or simply the cursed oil and the effect that such as crisis is/will be having on the world and honestly just watching all the economic reports makes me lean towards the latter.


Is there danger you ask ? yes but I believe we have reached the point of no return.

What will happen next? I have no idea but and I am praying that the outcome of this situation is to the advantage of our country and its noble people.

Please continue reading the links in my sidebar, they have more updates.

May God help us all.

Highlander

8 comments:

ChrisinMB said...

"The world is holding their breath but I'm still not sure if it is caring about the Libyans or simply the cursed oil "

I think you're being overly pessimistic there. News here anyhow has been all about 1) Gaddafi attacking his citizens, and 2) Mocking Saif's ridiculous & alarming speech. Oil was not the story, just mentioned briefly during market and commodity reports.

I didn't even realize Libya had a significant amount oil! :P

Maya M said...

Glad to hear from you!
Agree with Chris in MB.
Of course the economic news will mention any shift in oil prices, but I don't believe ordinary people around the world care much, and I think that even politicians are more concerned about the political situation.
Also, I do not think that professional psychological help would help the Libyan survivors. Posttraumatic stress disorder is incurable. Neither will all foreigners receive such a help. Citizens of rich countries probably will, those from poor countries will not.
Those who have lost or will lose loved ones will not need any damn therapist. They will need their loved ones. And because it is impossible to get them back, survivors will continue their lives crippled, as if some blast has destroyed parts of their body. Maybe imams can offer some help; if so, I'll admit there is some use of them.

ibeebarbie said...

Salam Highlander,
Alhamdullilah, it is great to read your post. I know that sounds ridiculous in the mist of all that is tragically happening, but for us on the outside it's a sign of hope to get these updates. Of course, I can only imagine what you, your family and Libya are going through as I've not personally experienced it. However, I do understand the feelings of fear and heightened emotions. Forgive me for smiling, but it was great to read the humanistic part of your experience with your family being under one roof and at times getting on one another's nerves.

On the other hand, I must agree with ChrisinMB, I see plenty of reports and hear talk from others of their pride for Libyans, Egyptians and Tunisians for effectuating change. There's prayer groups of different faiths praying for the citizens of Libya all over the globe. However, often times those things are not considered news worthy so don't get the due attention the rest of the world might need to see.

Allah bless you and your family. Stay safe, inshallah.

PEM said...

Hello.
My name is Paula, I'm a spanish journalist and I'm writting about Libya. I need to contact with people who are there to speack about their situation. If you could help me I'd appreciate it so much.
You can write me to PESCALADA@ELPAIS.ES
Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

My dear. In my heart I And I am quite worried can feel your anxieties in my heart. And I am quite worried about you and your family. You know that I do care about you very much. Stay brave. Bless you. Adam

programmer craig said...

(3) It is at times like these when you know who are your friends

I guess that's probably right, in more ways than one. May this crisis in Libya continue to be illuminating :)

NOMAD said...

We are all behind the Libyan people and wondering why our EU government is so long to react

B said...

Keep blogging, tracing and tracking history as it happens. Inshallah, all will be well. Libyans have survived embargoes and sanctions before. I was a child in Ras Lanuf during the last one. Life was terribly difficult but we endured. Of course, there was never such levels of violence. Mr. Q had complete control back then and no one would have dared protest him. Keep the faith. Stay safe.