Saturday, September 02, 2006

A matchmaking festival ?


OK OK not another post on matchmaking ....well I can't help it , this topic keeps jumping in my lap on every site I visit. I was only reading the news when this BBC link beckoned me : 'Romantics flock to Irish Festival'.

"In the age of computer matchmaking and speed dating, the event in rural County Clare offers a slightly more old-fashioned romantic alternative.
Down the years the festival became known for attracting bachelor farmers who were in search of a bride. [...] Today, it pulls in large crowds from Ireland, the UK, the US and elsewhere, with single visitors hoping to meet their perfect match. [read more].



The festival has its own website now, so for anyone interested you could combine a visit to Europe with finding your better half as "The MatchMaking Festival starts on Friday September 1st and finishes on Sunday October 1st, 2006. It is mainly concentrated at the weekends but there is also music and dancing during the week."

You get to register with a professional matchmaker whose family have been in the business for 3 generations at least. This is so cool. Maybe I'll go find a gorgeous super romantic Irish lad with turquoise eyes and jet black hair ( should I add this to the Mr. Highlander list ? ).

6 comments:

Highlander said...

Hi Um Aminah, in Malta and nowhere to go ? the weather is beautiful now a walk at 'ar i dud would be great :)
OH and I hate football, no offense to football fans out there .

NBA, I checked that site , understood nothing of course but only the principle :) Now you the second guy to wish me married to a farmer . An old friend of mine who no longer frequents this blog told me I should be with a farmer and not having discussions on blogs :) when he did not like my ideas.

But why farmers why :) ? sniff sniff

programmer craig said...

Oh, DM!! You mean DM! I miss him! Despite him trying to marry you off to a farmer!

ChrisinMB said...

Hey what's wrong with farming & farmers!?!

I would love earn a living as a farmer. Driving a tractor is loads of fun! Owning lots of land, being self sufficient. You've really got to give it a try!

Highlander said...

Chris :) I don't mind farmers at all, in fact I fancy having a big farm with olive trees and almond trees and orange trees . My house on the farm would have 14 rooms at least a huge kitchen, cats, dogs,gazelles and I get to drive a Toyota land Cruiser with built in GPS and computer system all over the place. I would have satellite and broadband at home; so really it would be the best of both worlds. I can indulge in the noble sport of horse riding and dipping in the swimming pool which would be de rigueur of course ;)

NBA :) I would get up to watch the milking of the cows and would drink fresh camel milk which is so healthy ( + a rumoured aphrodisiac). Of course I could do the token tractor photoshoot lol. Now that is my idea of living in a farm => do you have a candidate :) Do the hot Finnish farmers provide this ?

ChrisinMB said...

Hey! I've got all that but minus the big house. Ohh yeah also the:

Land Cruiser = Rusty Dodge NewYorker
gazelles = Deer & Rabbits
olive trees = Saskatoon Berries
almond trees = Choke Cherries
orange trees = Alfalfa Pasture
swimming pool = Lake Winnipeg

programmer craig said...

Our California farmers can provide all that! And grapes too!