Saturday, September 02, 2006

Egyptian novelist: RIP

So many bloggers wrote about the passing away of Naguib Mahfouz this week that I feel I would just be repeating myself as everything has already been said about a man who was not only a popular novelist/writer but who also "At the time of his death, [was] the only Arabic-language writer to have won the Nobel Prize for Literature", more here.

Over the years I've watched his novels which were turned into movies, unfortunately I never got the opportunity to read one even though my father has many of them in his library.

My favourite of all times is and will always be the Cairo Trilogy , which "follows the life of the Cairene patriarch al-Sayyid Ahmad Abd al-Jawad and his family across three generations, from World War I to the overthrow of King Farouk in 1952." I can't believe I actually had a crush for Si Sayed :)

Allah Yirhamak ya Naguib , you will be missed.

No comments: